American Guns Laws

Discussion in 'Internet Debate' started by Jake, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Jake

Jake 7pz Marketing Guru Staff Member Administrator

Haha, another controversial topic here I guess.

Wanted to here what our cousins across the pond feel about the gun laws of their country.

For me, the issue with giving a right for people to bear arms is that there are (an admittedly small) group of people that can't be trusted with such weapons.

Although these people are all over the world, you don't generally know who they are until it's too late - the problem with guns is that they can cause a lot of damage before anyone can react to it - I know I would certainly rather face one of those people if all they had was a knife or a bat or something, rather than a gun...

And that's completely ignoring all the accidental deaths where children have shot other family members with guns.

2. Chris

Chris 7pz Staff & Support Guru Staff Member Administrator

The problem with gun laws preventing people from doing things with guns - whether it be buying a gun, carrying a gun on a certain type of property, etc. - is that people will break rules/laws. Where are most crazy people going to carry out a massacre? Public places that are "gun-free" zones. Where do these people get guns? They steal it from a loved one or acquire it through other illegal means. Gun-free zone signs are really just a sign to tell the crazy people to go find a gun and shoot down a bunch of unarmed people at that location anytime.

3. Jake

That's the main problem, America has "shot itself in the foot" so to speak by leaving this too late. By making them so easily obtainable in the past, so many people have one that by introducing "Gun-Free Zones" would be completely irrelevant. Though, I don't get the feeling you want a gun-free America :p

That being said, although you're not going to be able to stop a crazy person, you could prevent those accidental deaths (like the ones where children shoot their parents) by introducing gun-free zones and perhaps introduce some stricter gun storage laws (not sure what the storage laws are now, but maybe people aren't following them if these accidents are still happening).

I think the biggest barrier is the cultural one - again, I don't know what the percentage in the US is for those in favour and those against guns, but I imagine there is still a large population of people who still believe that because it's their right, they should and must have/carry guns - that's an attitude that would need to change if serious gun laws were going to be introduced.

That being said, I'm just a gun free Brit, maybe I'm jealous I haven't held a gun/rifle in a while :p I'd like to know your thoughts on it though, are you in favour or against guns in general?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Chris

Chris 7pz Staff & Support Guru Staff Member Administrator

5. Avram

Avram New Member

I really don't understand US laws where everyone can buy a gun with their ID only. With 300 M people in the US who knows how many lunatics you have there, which are free to have (and use) guns :S

I live in Serbia, where it's really tough to get a license for gun possession. If you want a license, you must have a clean record (no criminal charges) and police will come into your neighborhood to ask around what kind of person you are. If you are known to get into fights with people, you will not get it. Plus, you need to pay a lot of money for it. Even if you get it, you are allowed only to keep it in your house and not use it except at firing range (unless you are a hunter but you need different license for that). When you are transporting a gun, you must disassemble it and transport it in parts. If you are caught carrying an assembled gun (even unloaded) without a "carrying license", which is issued only if police estimates your life is in danger, you are facing severe criminal charges. I think our laws are better than US gun laws.

However, we were into bloody wars from 1990 to 1999 so there is a lot of illegal weapons on the streets. What's more weird is if someone breaks into your house you are not allowed to shoot him until he shoots first! If you kill a burglar without him shooting his gun first, you will be charged for 2nd degree murder! That's ridiculous! In that part, I think US laws are better than our laws. In US private property is sacred!

Not really related to fire arms, but we recently had a case where a junkie broke into a home of elderly journalist while he was at home. They started fighting and the journalist got a knife and stabbed the junkie. He started running but collapsed and died at the street. Guess what - the journalist was charged and awaiting a trial for a second degree murder :/

Yet, every once in a while someone kills someone using an illegal weapon. I don't know what to think about it, because if the attacked person also had a gun, he would be in a better position to defend himself. But I cannot imagine what would happen if everyone was allowed to buy a gun so easy, like in US :)

6. Jake

I think people who want to use a gun for negative reasons is obviously a concern - but another concern is that people think it's necessary to get them to protect their families. Now, I don't mean it's a bad thing that people want to protect their families, but that they feel the need to take such drastic action. Then again, I am not against the use of guns for a hobby or sport if they are looked after by people of sound mind.

7. Sammiee

Sammiee Account Manager Staff Member Support Staff

well, I believe some areas in US really need gun allowance, specially for women/teenage girls.
    However...
    There are many disturbing incidents regarding racial murders by US police, so I have doubt that this will also create more & more similar incidents in a increasing level.